I feel before I embark on this 25 week countdown of the Prem GOAT I need to set out some disclaimers.
- The list mostly includes players from the 2000s & 2010s, with the exception of one or two. I did not think I could fairly compare players from the 90s that I’ve only watched on Youtube or read about.
- I wanted to include one player from at least every position, so there’s a good variety of players and not just forwards or midfielders.
- There is a difference between ‘best’ & ‘greatest’. Example: Wayne Rooney is in my opinion, the best player to ever play for Everton but he’s not their greatest ever player.
Please keep these disclaimers in mind over the next 25 weeks!
I never thought I’d be doing a positive article on Steven Gerrard but yet here we are. Honestly he’s one of the best knockout competition players I’ve ever seen, the FA Cup final winner against West Ham was stupidly good and of course the Olympiacos winner in the CL that produced an all time great piece of commentary from Andy Gray.
Unfortunately for Gerrard and Liverpool fans, the Premier League is not a knockout competition, you can’t rely on massive moments like he’s had in Europe and the FA Cup to win you a league that spans 38 games, you need consistent performances that benefit your team and not just heroball attempts to try score from 40 yards every game. This a big reason why I think he never won a Premier League Title and is why I have him at #25 in the list, the only player without a title that will feature in this countdown.
While he lacked in domestic team honours, he more than made up for this with his indiviudal accolades.
- Made Liverpool captain aged 23.
- Appeared in the PFA TOTY 8 times (Most appearences in the premier league era).
- PFA Players POTY 05/06.
- Numerous world/european awards including 3rd place in the Ballon D’or in 2005.
There’s no denying those accolades, that’s why he’s one of the best midfielders to ever play in the league. I always wonder does he regret never leaving for Chelsea when the opportunity arose, he would’ve won multiple leagues and a CL but what happened in Istanbul probably helps him sleep a bit easier at night.
Best Moments & Goals
He managed 120 goals from midfield which is an incredible achievement, he also assisted his teammates 92 times across the course of his career. He also hit double figures 5 times in his career.
In one of the few bright moments of the dalglish era, Steven Gerrard was able to score a derby day hattrick in what is an unforgettable game for both sets of Merseyside fans.
Gerrard managed to score 9 against Utd across his career, none better than his long range strike in a 2-0 home win against Utd. This win meant it was the first time Liverpool had done the double over Utd in 22 years.
This strike against Boro is one of the best volleys you’ll ever see and a typical Gerrard long range screamer..
There’s few things better than a derby goal being scored by a local lad..
Another thunderbolt, this time against Aston Villa…
When making my top 25 I initially wasn’t going to include Gerrard… but even here at Agenda FC we have a modicum of shame, some might say he should be much higher and maybe he would be, if he had a Premier League title to his name and just to refresh everyone’s memory..he does not…
Let me know what you think below in the comments, and make sure to browse the site and check out our other articles.
Thanks for reading!