These disclaimers will be disclosed weekly, so please take note of them before reading.
- The list mostly includes players from the 2000s & 2010s, with the exception of one or two. I did not think I could fairly compare players from the 90s that I’ve only watched on Youtube or read about.
- I wanted to include one player from at least every position, so there’s a good variety of players and not just forwards or midfielders.
- There is a difference between ‘best’ & ‘greatest’. Example: Wayne Rooney is in my opinion, the best player to ever play for Everton but he’s not their greatest ever player.
Please keep these disclaimers in mind! If you missed #25 & #24 please check them out below.
This isn’t just a Utd propaganda list, players from various clubs will be mentioned, this week we have probably the best CB of the 2010s, Vincent Kompany. Not only a great CB but a great leader, I’ve talked a lot about showing up in important moments many times in my articles and being honest as far as CB’s go, I don’t know if I’m seen anyone show up quite like Kompany did. He has two massive title deciding goals in the closing stages of two premier league seasons, we’ll touch on both later. He was one of the first signings of the Sheik Mansour era, however unlike most, he stayed the test of time. Many of his teammates were upgraded but he was instead named captain. I have him in the top 5 CBs I’ve seen in english football and that’s why he makes the GOAT list at #23.
His CV is jam packed with domestic awards as he led City to many trophies, however he left with no European medals…
- 4 time premier league winner (all 4 as captain, only 2 men have the same or more).
- Two FA Cup wins.
- 4 League Cup wins.
- Premier League POTS – 11/12.
- Appeared in the PFA TOTY 3 times.
That’s 10 domestic trophies in 11 years, pretty damn impressive and to lift them all as captain is an incredible achievement.
Best Moments & Goals
As mentioned earlier, Kompany has two crucial goals at the closing stages of the Premier League season. United and Liverpool fans know all too well about these goals…
Not only did he shut United out this game but he scored the crucial goal that put City in the driving seat to win their first Premier League title.
Gary Neville and Martin Tyler enjoyed this one…
A goal in a game where City were on the ropes and looking like they were finally gonna drop points, this wasn’t just a header but a 25 yard screamer which will go down in history, it actually won the BBC Goal of the season!
Being able to maintain a spot in a City team that changes its defence every summer without fail is an achievement in its own right, if it weren’t for injuries he may have accomplished even more. We seen last season how City faired in his absence and now how well they’re doing with a top CB back in the fold. He’s up there with the very best CB’s to have played in England for me and is well worthy of this spot although I sense many may disagree!
Thanks for reading!
Make sure to vote in our poll below and check out this weeks latest posts, we will be back next week for #22, I hope you’re enjoying this series so far, stay tuned!